Around The World In 12 Dishes- Greece
Our journey Around the World in 12 Dishes is coming to an end.. just one more country to visit now.
This time we are visiting Greece. We love Greek food and have tried quite a lot of different dishes.. so here is one of our favourites.
Stuffed tomatoes with lamb mince, dill and rice.
What you need is:
4 beef tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 4 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil (plus some extra to drizzle)
- 1 onion, finely shopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g minced lamb
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 50 g long grain rice
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 4 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp shopped flat- leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp shopped mint
And here`s what you do:
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas4. Slice the tops of the tomatoes and reserve. Scoop out most of the pulp with a teaspoon, being careful not to break any skin. Finely chop the pulp, and keep any juices. Sprinkle the insides of tthe tomatoes with a little sugar to take away the acidity, then place them on the baking tray.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and garlic, then gently cook for about 10 mins until soft but not coloured. Add the lamb, cinnamon and tomato puree, turn up the heat, then fry until the meat is browned. Add the tomato pulp and juice, the rice and the stock. Season generously. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool a little, then stir in the herbs.
- Stuff tomatoes up to the brim, top tomatoes with their lid, drizzle with 2 tbsp more olive oil, sprinkle 3 tbsp water into the tray, then bake for 35 mins. Serve with salad and crusty bread, hot or cold.
My lil` one`s job this time was to scoop out the tomatoes and chop up the herbs. We all enjoyed the meal… well lil mermaid only had the meat mixture as she doesn`t eat tomatoes.
Please check out our partner blogs and their Greece ideas: Adventures In Mommydom, Creative Family Fun, Domestic Goddesque, Glittering Muffins, Here Come The Girls, Juggling with Kids, Kid World Citizen, Kitchen Counter Chronicles, Mermaids’ Makings, Montessori Tidbits, Mummymummymum and The Educators’ Spin On It
If you do this, we’d LOVE to see a photo of it. Email it to us or post it on our Facebook page. We’d love to do a Facebook album, a Pinterest board and a page of your creations :)
Please link up your Greek dish and/or craft HERE we would love to see it!